Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving thoughts

When I think of Thanksgiving, visions of childhood holiday meals around the table with my family spring to mind, complete with turkey, stuffing, candied yams, corn or carrots, potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin or mincemeat pie.
We are a large family. I am the oldest of six, so in the last years I was at home in Nebraska there were eight at the table. Mom and Dad would work in the kitchen from early in the morning until the bird and fixings were done. Then we’d all sit down at our dining room table and thank God for his blessings of sustenance – food, a home, clothing, a good job for Dad and good health for all.


Sometimes, after the plates were cleared and dishes done, we’d sit in the living room and each share one other thing we were thankful for at the time. Then it was time for the Cornhuskers or Cowboys to play football on television. Those not interested in the game would retire elsewhere to entertain themselves. As a diehard Husker fan, I was not privy to what those diversions might be.
Though we were not financially wealthy on a teacher’s salary, we never lacked for the necessities. There was a better wealth – a clear sense of family and priorities, of caring, humility, sharing and thankfulness.
Things are different today, of course -- not traditional in the sense I just shared. This year, instead of making the trek to Nebraska to be with our parents and siblings, my wife, youngest son and I will spend a quiet day together.
The world today is a faster-paced place and families are spread to the winds. Finances and family structures often prohibit such gatherings, and it seems some of the "thanks" in Thanksgiving has been replaced with a more hollow, less humble and familial feeling.
With that in mind, here are my not-so-traditional, but heart-felt Thanksgiving wishes:
First, I want to thank all those who care – not just for me and my family, but who care for others in nursing homes, childcare facilities, hospitals, schools, the armed forces, living on the streets or in poverty. Thank you to those who minister to the spirits, minds and hearts of those who are down or downtrodden, as well as to their temporal and physical needs.
Thanks to those who work to keep us safe, be it EMTs, fire and law enforcement personnel, members of the military, and even the conscientious politicians (there are some!) who work to make this nation a better place for all (not worrying about party lines).
Personally, thank you to my wife and sons for caring and standing by me; and to my co-workers, family and friends everywhere for their thoughts, prayers and assistance during what has been a rough year for me. Thank you, also, to those who have cared enough to read these ramblings.
Finally, thanks to God for taking care of my needs and giving His Son for all.
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment